29 January 2012

Greatest Lead Guitar of All Time

This category (my last for those who are sick of it) has been the most difficult. So many worthy artists, and very hard to differentiate. So I've done something a little different: I have ONE winner, and TWO tiers below him. This means that I admit I can't distinguish the tiers within themselves, only tier one from tier 2.

Some will disagree, perhaps viscerally, with my selections (if anyone reads this at all). There'll be some "no way (tier one guy) is better than (tier two guy). There's also a fair few that aren't on my list at all. But I can't have 30 runners-up. So I made my cuts where I chose, you make yours where you like. So how did I decide? Not necessarily based on my own tastes, though that certainly factors in. Throughout this project, I've included people/bands that I don't particularly like, but I recognize the talent. Lead guitar in particular is not just about notes per second or even complexity; you have to make the instrument sing, cry, wail!

First, a few Honorable Mentions (also in no particular order, and only a few videos):
Phil Collen/Steve Clark
Chet Atkins
Roy Clark
Eddie Van Halen
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Slash
Angus Young
Ted Nugent
Dave Murry
Nancy Wilson
Melissa Etheridge
Eric Clapton
John Mayer
Jeff Cook
Duane Allman

Whichever one of these girls is playing lead guitar/Kerry Livgren


Whoever this is playing with Roxette. I searched and can't pin down who it is. Likely Christoffer Lundquist, but I'm not positive. Feel free to clue me in.


Second Tier Runners-up (any order)
Brad Paisley


Jimmy Page


Jeff Beck


First Tier Runners-up (any order)
Gary Rossington


David Gilmour


Randy Rhoads (I love how Ozzy scratches his head then looks at it at the 1:30 mark. Head & Shoulders, Oz?


Carlos Santana


BB King
Can't embed, but you gotta hear it!
http://youtu.be/MpRIYi721WE

Steve Vai


Winner, and Greatest Guitarist of All Time
Jimi Hendrix


Thanks for playing along at home, and good night!

No comments: