05 May 2012

Good thing that wasn't my Tim

I like Boromir/Ned. He got played like a chump at the end of season one of Game of Thrones, and he got killed in LOTR's first movie, but I sometimes secretly wish I'd have been Boromir... or Ned, but I wouldn't have confessed nothin!

It's not often that I forward a mass email, but it's not often that I get as mad as I did today. I get occasional emails from Change.org, a petition site where common folk can rally support for their cause. Many of the causes are good. Some, well, if they knew me, they'd know they're barking up the wrong tree.

But today, I got one that said "School electrocutes blind girl." Provocative headline. So, I clicked to see what it was. What I found shocked me (pun intended). I expected something accidental, maybe even stupid, like the kid who hooked alligator clips to his nipples and plugged himself in. I was not prepared to see the intentional, "theraputic" electo-shocking of a special needs boy with behavioral problems. I warn you, the video is very disturbing:



I dug a little deeper and found the recent ABC News story here.

As my regular readers know, I have a special needs son. He sometimes gets aggressive when he's frustrated or doesn't get his way. He's really a lot like all of us. He's selfish and self-centered, it's just not socially acceptable for us to act that way. If someone did this "therapy" to him, there is no place on God's green earth they could hide from me. I won't use the language I'd like to, but suffice to say I'd reposition a higher part of their anatomy into another, lower part of their anatomy. I'm serious. If that was my son, suing them would be the least of their worries, as they'd have to pay up posthumously.

The school's lawyer comparing this to "surgery" is just more infuriating. I presume he meant surgery without anesthesia, because this kid wasn't sedated before being shocked THIRTY ONE TIMES IN A SINGLE DAY.

I was furious. Still am. I thought shock treatments went out with "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."
Watching that helpless kids, strapped face down and spread eagle, screaming in pain and pleading for help, I'd have cleaned house like f'in Braveheart. I'd be caught, of course, and spend the rest of my years in jail. But I would have made sure that Tim, or anyone like him, would ever, EVER, have to fear these barbarians again.

Please consider signing the petition here.

No comments: