01 March 2013

Connected by isolation



A very few of you will remember that I have been researching a premise: That although we are superficially connected, by Facebook, Twitter to more people than at anytime in history, we are more isolated from real relationships, the truly human connectedness God designed us to have.

But a funny thing happened on the way to my conclusion: My data didn't support my thesis. I suppose there are a number of reasons. A relatively small sample size. Not enough time and research. Or perhaps I simply tend to gather friends that believe as I. Whatever the reason, although it seems logical, intuitive even, I can't gather enough concrete evidence to support my argument. I will, however, share one of the more interesting things I found along the way. It's a presentation by MIT professor Sherry Turkle, who makes a pretty interesting argument herself. Perhaps she has been able to do what I couldn't. Give it a watch and see what you think.

No comments: