25 August 2013

Day 25. The reason you believe you’re still alive today.

My kids. My highest calling is to be Dad. It’s the greatest honor I could ever receive. And if I fail at that, it doesn’t matter much where I succeed.

I have three kids from my first marriage and two more now that I’m married to their mom (HAPPY ONE DAY ANNIVERSARY, HONEY!). I consider them all “mine.” Being adopted, I’ve always considered it a matter of fact that you don’t have to contribute DNA to a child to be their “dad.”

“Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” John 1:12

“He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will” Ephesians 1:5


We (mankind) are not “all God’s children.” We are all God’s creation, but He is “Father” only to those who are adopted by salvation. My great privilege is that I don’t have to legally adopt my two stepchildren to be a “dad” to them. I simply have to do all the things a “dad” does: love them, support them, seek to understand them, nurture them, be there for them, empathize with them, be patient with them (my own say I need to work on that one), .

I’ll do my best to do those things and more, and hopefully with a home more conducive to routine occupation by school age children, I’ll get to spend more time with my own younger ones, as well.

No comments: