05 April 2007

Daley Distrakshun

One thing that gets on my nerves is people in business who cannot write a coherent sentence. Grammatical and spelling errors, typos that don't get fixed, that sort of thing. Now anyone can make a mistake, and I have too, maybe even in this post, but most of what aggravates me should have been caught by someone somewhere along the line! I saw one on the way to work today. I passed a semi truck that had the company name on the side. I thought it might be a mistake, so I looked up their website when I got to work. This trucking company specializes in service to/from Mexico and the Continental United States. Its name? "Boarder to Boarder Trucking, Inc."

Headlines are another thing. Nothing catches the eye like a misspelling in inch high bold letters on the front page of the newspaper (you remember those, right? Ink printed on flimsy grey paper?). One of my favorites proclaimed:

"MAD COW TRACED TO HEARD IN CANADA."

Still others result from editors apparently not reading the headline before printing it, or else being so clueless as to not realize how it sounds. So for today's amusement, here's a few more:

Crack Found on Governor's Daughter

Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers

Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over

Miners Refuse to Work after Death

Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant

If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last Awhile

Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures

Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery charge

New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group

Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft

Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead

No comments: