04 April 2007

Quotable Quotes, Part I

Sir Winston Churchill once said:
“It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.“

A forum to which I belong recently started a thread for quotes, so I thought I'd blog a few of my favorites. Being a big Churchill fan, I'll start with several of his:

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."

“A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.”

“I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.”

“It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.”

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”

“When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber.”

Dave Barry
“I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me.”

Jascha Heifetz
“No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.”

Abraham Lincoln
“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

Will Rogers
“The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn’t get worse every time Congress meets.”

Martin Luther King, Jr.
“Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

Lawrence J. Peter
“Against logic there is no armor like ignorance.”

Bill Watterson
“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”

No comments: