23 March 2010

Fifteen Thousand Hits



Sometime in the past 24 hours, my hit counter rolled over 15K.

Danged if I know why.

Looking at some recent IP addresses, I've gotten views from places including (but not limited to): Oakland CA, Lafayette LA, Louisville KY, Bloomfield Hills MI, Mountain View CA ("googlebot" is there, it crawls me everyday... which sounds creepy!), Anaheim and Brentwood CA, Parramatta New South Wales Australia, Budd Lake NJ, Curitaba Brazil, Hsinchu Taiwan, Fort Richardson AK, Sneek Freisland in The Netherlands (no foolin, that's the name it gave me), Bjuv Sweden, Fountain Valley CA, Trgu Mehedinti Romania, Figueira Da Foz Coimbra Portugal, Dubai Dubayy UAE, Santiago Region Metropolitana Chile, and other exotic places like Memphis and Jackson Tennessee (the Memphis IP is almost always from Memphis.edu). Other than that Memphis one, and googlebot, I have no idea who most of these people are, or why they'd be reading anything I'd write.

If you're here from one of those, or any other, exotic locations, welcome! Whether you got here from a Google image search, a Facebook posting, a geocaching forum, or because of a poorly-typed URL, thanks for spending a few seconds with me.

In the 3 or so years I've been blogging, I've discussed religion, my kids, my marriage (and the eventual implosion thereof), geocaching, travel, and not a small bit of politics. I've reviewed movies, made thinly-veiled references to people and situations, ridiculed stupidity mercilessly whenever possible, and chronicled a softball-career-ending knee injury (if you can call what I had a "career"). I've made some people laugh, occasionally made myself cry, and made some people mad enough to choke my eyeballs out. I honestly cannot recall ever regretting anything I've posted, but when you've put your foot in your mouth as many times as I have, your taste-buds get dull enough not to always notice.

If you take a notion (although I'm sure there's a million reasons NOT to), post a comment sometime and let me know who's behind that IP address, like you there, on Pacbell.net, or you on Charter.com, or you, o' faithful reader from Memphis.edu. I've not the time or inclination to keep track of such stuff, I'm just curious.

4 comments:

Mackheath said...

I'm most likely the faithful reader from memphis.edu. I'm always hoping you will post more about geocaching in Oregon and Washington, but I enjoy your blog nonetheless.

I've often thought about adding sitemeter to my own blog.

SteveSpencer824 said...

Hey dude! Thought that might be you, I'm too old to know any students.

Truth is, I just don't cache that much anymore. I bet I haven't logged the last 30 I've found. I still enjoy finding them if they're in cool places, I'm just not driven like I once was. CSBS Cache Saturation Burnout Syndrome. Plus, I'm stuck on 1313 finds, which is kinda cool. I'll log GWVIII since mega-event is the only icon I don't have. I've found the APE, GSHQ, Original Stash, GC12, and the Fizzy. I guess I just need to find a goal to re-energize me.

Mackheath said...

I know what you mean. I'm a fair weather cacher now and try to cache in parks as often as possible.

I've also decided to take up trail mapping.

SteveSpencer824 said...

On the plus side, I'm a popular guy at event where they play geocaching bingo! I can sign quite a few of those harder to find blocks. "More than 10 states"-check. "Logged an APE cache"-check. "Cached by motorcycle"-check. "Crashed a motorcycle while geocaching"-check.

As for all the hits, a little research tells me that the vast majority of hits I get come either from Facebook or the review I did of the movie "The Blind Side." Apparently, I frequently show up on image searches for "Touhy" and "Oher."