10 August 2013

Day 10. Someone you need to let go, or wish you didn’t know.

I’m not there now, but I’ve been there.

I won’t go into details, but I remember the moment when I knew.

I’d been trying to save my marriage for more than four years. Oh, I know, I wasn’t perfect, even while trying to win her back, and I don’t mean to imply that I was. But I can honestly look myself in the eye and say I tried.

But I remember the moment I knew that what I thought I was trying to save didn’t exist anymore and probably hadn’t for at least a couple of years.

Letting go was surprisingly easy. I’d spent so long desperately not wanting to let go that finally doing it so easily surprised me. Reba McEntire sings a song that says:

“I guess the world didn’t stop for my broken heart.”
That was the day I figured out the world didn’t stop for me. That I still had three kids that needed their dad. Life would go on and God would go with me, and although I didn’t know it at the time, He knew what lay ahead for me, and it was more than I would ever have imagined.

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord,” – Jeremiah 29:11
That was April 2009. I didn’t know it then, but April 2013 would look much, much brighter.

No comments: