12 August 2013

Day 12. Something you never get compliments on.

Salsa dancing.

Actually, the instructors in the Chemeketa class my fiancée’ and I are taking are very encouraging. It’s going better than I expected it to, but possibly because my expectations were so abysmally low to begin with. I’m really trying, it’s something that makes my sweetie very happy, and I really want to do a good job for her… but my body just don’t move that way! When we’re doing the hip movements, my muscles and joints are screaming “AAAAAHHHHHHHHH! What’s he doing?? We’ve never done that before!!”

On a more serious note, this is one I’ve thought about often in the past couple of years. Ask anyone who knows me what one word comes to mind when they think of me, and with the possible exception of my bride-to-be, not one of them will say “love.”

You might get “smart.”

You might get “funny.”

You might get “witty.”

You might get “jerk.”

But you’re probably not going to get “loving.”

“By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35 He didn’t say we’d be known by our correct doctrine, although that’s important.

He didn’t say we’d be known by our service, although serving others can be a sign of love.

He didn’t say we’d be known by our social status, church attendance, manner of dress, appearance, or what we do/refuse to do.

He said we’d be known by how much we love others.

"For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have?” – Matthew 5:46 Do I really love anyone that doesn’t love me back?

I love my fiancée’. More than I’ve ever loved anyone and as much as I know how to love anyone. I’m still learning, and she’s still training me, and I’m profoundly grateful to God for answering my prayers beyond my wildest dreams.

I love my kids. There isn’t anyone or anything on this Earth that could come between us. I’d die, or kill, to protect them in a heartbeat. I love my soon-to-be-step-kids. They’re awesome and they’ve welcomed me into their lives with open arms. Obviously, I’ve never been a step-dad before, but I figure if I just try to be a good dad, I’m probably on the right track. Having been adopted, the concept of choosing to love a child you didn’t give birth to is one my mom and dad modeled for me my entire life. I love those kids, and I’m so looking forward to being there for them. And hopefully, to get some more time with my own kids as they get older and make their own choices.

But I have to admit… people are inconvenient. Sometimes by their mere existence. They drive too slow or too fast. They use the self-check cash registers without knowing what they’re doing, basically putting an untrained employee on the equipment. They always seem to know exactly where to stand reading every label on the shelf when the one item I need is right behind them.

I know I need to change this. I need to learn to see others as God sees them. As He once saw me. As He sometimes still does. For some, loving others comes easy. For me, it’s something I need to work on.

1 comment:

Does Air Exist said...

Steve, there is so much to admire about you. I can't believe you don't get more compliments. But, funny? hmmm.... :P