13 August 2013

Day 13. A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough days

My favorite band in the world is “Third Day.” They have a few songs that have meant a lot to me at certain stages of my life.

When I went through my separation and subsequent divorce, I felt pretty alone, not knowing what to do or where to go. Right about that time, they released a song called “Revelation:”
“Gimme a revelation

Show me what to do

Cause I’ve been trying to find my way

I haven’t got a clue

Tell me should I stay here

Or do I need to move

Gimme a revelation

I’ve got nothing without you”
I needed a revelation, and over time, just at the right time, I got one. It wasn’t often the dramatic, thunder and lightning, pillar of cloud by day and fire by night thing, but I got through those days one at a time.

In the midst of that turmoil, other of their songs, based on Psalm 36, gave me a focal point outside my circumstances.
“Your love, oh Lord

Reaches to the heavens

Your faithfulness

Stretches to the skies"
I remember sometimes just walking around singing that song in my head. It brought me a lot of comfort.

Long about the time I described in Day 10, I found a song on their “Revelation” album that was not released as a single. It said, in part:
“Yesterday I found

That everything I knew was wrong

It was upside-down

The life I thought I had was gone

But you came and whispered love to me

And you gave me strength to carry on

And oh, the sun is shining

And oh, a new day’s dawning”
It would take me a couple of years to find the one who would be that new day for me, but she was worth the wait!

No comments: